No audio when recording using Audacity in Fedora 9

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Fri Aug 15 23:31:18 UTC 2008

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> How do you disable pulse?  Just "$ pkill pulse" ?  Or something fancier?

pulseaudio --kill or
Application->sound and video->pulseaudio manager->disconnect

Everything you want to know about pulse is at http://www.pulseaudio.org

> Here's the key.  (And I feel very stupid.)  How do you select line as
> the default for recording?  The Gnome mixer applet (right click on the
> little speaker in the upper task bar; select "Open Volume Control") has
> no checkboxes to select recording input (as opposed to the help page).
> Alsamixer seems to want to communicate only with pulseaudio.

There is probably a .asoundrc file in your home directory with
something like

pcm.pulse {
     type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
     type pulse
}

in it.  This makes pulse the default for all sound.  Move it to
.asoundrc.bak or something and with the end of the server, you should
be OK.  At least, I'm able to run an application that calls the alsa
library API directly and set various output parameters.

At that point, go into a console and type alsamixer.  I just tried it
and had to hit F5 to get the capture selection.  Use the arrow keys to
go over to the capture control, hit page down until you have line
selected.  F4 went to the screen that turned capture on and off.

Note your card might be slightly different.

Audacity should now record properly.

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:23:50 Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> I've been told (more than once) that JACK in Audacity is untested
>> and that it may be disabled by default in any future release.
>
> I've never had any *more* trouble with audacity with jack than with
> audacity without jack.  I certainly hope that jack support is not
> disabled, since jack has given me much higher recording quality at high
> data rates (48000 samples / sec) than plain vanilla alsa -- I think I
> was getting lots of drop outs (i.e.xruns).

This is probably because jack gives itself higher priority than
vanilla alsa.  In /etc/security/limits.conf  That stops things like
background processes from interfering with it.

I created an audio group, added myself to it, gave it high priority,
and now alsa doesn't get clobbered either.  :-)