F9 boot-from-USB MemStick?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Aug 16 01:37:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 03:29 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:

> > 	No floppy and DVD doesn't work.  I need to boot from a USB stick and
> > try to install that way.  There is an overload of Fedora related sites
> > which makes it slightly cumbersome finding stuff at times.  So, is there
> > a Fedora "spin" that can be used with USB sticks for installation?  If
> > so, where might it be?
>
> It's supposed to be possible to make a "live" USB stick out of a "live" CD
> image.

	I'll dig through the list archive and maybe a Google Linux search to
see if I can find anything.

> I haven't tried that but I have sometimes installed Fedora using an
> installation DVD image and two USB sticks. I put the DVD image on one USB
> stick such that the ISO image was a file in the file system on the stick.
> Then I took the image file diskboot.img (which seems to be efidisk.img in
> Fedora 9) from the DVD image and wrote it to another USB stick such that the
> image became the file system on the stick. As I recall I first inserted the
> boot stick and booted from it. Then I inserted the other USB stick, selected
> the option to install from a hard disk, and gave the installer the path to
> the DVD image on the stick.

	That's a good manual/fallback to have.  I'm not sure I can do this as
the largest stick is 1 GB (plus 2 or 3 256 MB buggers lying around).
Dankuwel, Björn (I took a stab at the language, hope it's close).

Joe

--
Interesting Boring Blog - http://x-nc.blogspot.com
A combination of insight and inanity for your reading pleasure