Possible to Recover LiveUSB Overlay Image?

Raymond C. Rodgers sinful622 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 14:34:09 UTC 2008

Last night I ran into a bit of bad luck. The Fedora 9 LiveUSB stick that
I've been using on my notebook for several months stopped responding so
I did a hard reset of the notebook thinking that it'll just reboot and
everything would be fine.

As usual, I was wrong. On boot, I now drop into a recovery shell with a
"good luck" message. Apparently, I'm not the first one to discover this
(see https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/28 ). While I'm not
so anxious to fix the installation, I would like to try to recover my
files from the overlay image, but  I'm not sure how to go about this.
It's not critical that I recover these files, but it would be nice.

I was hoping that I could just mount the image like most other disk
images, but that didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any suggestions
on where I can find information about recovering the files, or have
direct answers for me? Is it even possible with standard tools?

Thank you,
Raymond