What is the point of the NM keyring?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 16 15:14:56 UTC 2008

samk at twinix.com wrote:
> See Thread at: http://www.techienuggets.com/Detail?tx=45040
> Posted on behalf of a User
>
> Sigh, getting rather tired of all these IT and Security GURUs
> telling us how we need to configure our systems all the time. Look,
> I have a machine that is UNATTENDED and uses a WIRELESS connection.
> The gnome keyring PREVENTS me from using the machine in this role.
> This machine must auto login and it must connect to the wireless net
> to work. The nearest user is about 20 miles away so there is NO
> login password and NO ONE to enter one. So, can't we just turn the
> damn gnome keyring OFF?? Sorry if I offend, but I am really fed up
> with this problem!

You may be better off turning off NetworkManager, or marking the
interface as not manager by NetworkManager. Then set the network
service to start for run level 5, and configure the wireless
interface in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.ifcfg-<interface name>.

This way, the wireless connection will come up at boot time, instead
of when a user logs in. I can see the advantage of NetworkManager
for laptops, where you may be connecting to different networks, or
may not want the network connection until someone log in.
(Especially if you are using dialup.) But is its current state, it
is not that useful for desktops and not useful at all for servers. I
 use it on my laptop, but not on my desktop...

Mikkel