Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 18:29:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 05:22 -0600, linuxguy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 14:30 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> > > The fact that you refer to common Linux users like myself as
> > > "freeloaders who bitch" demonstrates a big part of this and other
> > > problems within the Linux community.
> > >
> > > Keep it up.  Linux adoption will stay at 1% for another 10 years.
> > >

> > If the price of 10% adoption rate is exponential increase in the number
> > of bitch-and-moan-while-doing-nothing-to-help like the OP, I'll take 1%
> > market share any time, any date. (But that's me...)
>
> "do nothing to help" people are the majority of computer users.   They
> don't expect to have to WORK on an operating system.   They expect it to
> "just work" for them.
>
> You are lucky that I "bitch an moan".  I'm really just the messenger for
> the vast majority of potential Linux users out there.  99% of the other
> people heard messages like "If the price of 10% adoption is..." from
> Linux people like yourself and decided they didn't want to be insulted
> and then chose not to be involved in the Linux community.
>
> The Fedora and KDE communities shipped an operating system in which
> basic functionality like drag and drop and Kget doesn't work.  They
> didn't clearly warn people about things like this.   And you expect
> people to not complain ?
>
> I think its time the Fedora community took a long hard look at itself.
> Linux IS ready for the desktop.   Or at least it was with KDE 3.5.9.
> Some of the Linux community, however, is not.

If you do not understand the difference between constructive input, bug
reports and testing and "you owe me!!! / I want KDE 4.1/3.5.9 NOW!!!"
type of messages, I doubt that I can do anything to persuade
differently. (Beyond adding yet another name to my growing troll
filter).

Beyond that, "I'm" not "we"; and I greatly doubt that you represent
anyone beside yourself. Your assumptions that you know what I/we/Fedora
wants/targets, and therefore we (???) are lucky to have you on-board,
coupled with your "you owe me/where's my" attitude, is simply amusing.
Oh, and having been a Windows developer for many years (and spent many
years in Windows developer ML's) I can only laugh at your
ready-for-the-desktop comment. But that's another issue all-together.

In the OSS world, those who do the work get to make the decisions.
You want KDE 3.5.9 on F9? Great, stop wasting our time and start
packaging.

- Gilboa