network vs NetworkManger services ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 21:33:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 17:25 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Patrick;
>
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 16:26 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 15:02 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > My qualification "in the sense I think you mean" was intended to convey
> > the idea that "network" is not a single process or daemon. Of course
> > there is a set of things collectively called "network service".
>
> I believe that network services were managed by the
> system-control-network gui which used the ifconfig page as its data
> source.  I have removed the ifconfig. Yet 'something' is running and
> making reference to configured devices 'lo eth0' etc.

Bill, we may be going off at a tangent here since I really haven't
attempted to answer your original question, but the interfaces are
always going to be there (assuming the drivers are loaded). What changes
is whether they are marked UP or not. The state of each interface is
internal to the kernel, all the various commands do is manipulate it or
report it.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "removed the ifconfig".

poc