fc9 install

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 17 01:11:10 UTC 2008

[edited]

Paul Newell wrote:
> Fennix wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>     Russell Miller wrote:
>>     >
>>     [...]
>>     >         I think that Ken Murray has the right idea.
Refering to an earlier email in which Ken answered me "Now that you know
the media passes the media check, have you tried just booting off the
DVD and skipping the media check?
>>     >         My experience
>>     >         with the installation of F9 is the same.  When I do the
>> media
>>     >         check it reports a good disk and then cannot continue the
>>     >         installation.  Reboot and skip the media check and the
>>     >         installation proceeds normally.  On my system this has
>> always
>>     >         been the case for the numerous F9 install/re-installs
>> that I
>>     >         have needed to do.

I am a bit surprised, but Ken's suggestion did, in fact, work. I scanned
the fedora bug list under anaconda and mediacheck and didn't see
anything that looked like this, so I submitted a bug on it just in case
(459342) ... I have to believe someone has reported it and am hoping
they tell me its a dupe. I'm also going to skip stepping on a soapbox on
this as right now all I care about is getting help on "phase two of fc
install problems".

So it did its thing (an update of my FC5) and I rebooted. Logged in as
myself, noticed my desktop stuff was gone (note worried as I backed
everything up before I started). I opened a shell (tcsh), did some
looking in my home area, looked okay.

Wanted to verify that I still didn't have network access, so I clicked
Firefox. An entry for Firefox startup appeared on the bottom and then I
got a pop-up message saying "Problem connecting to a software source:
Cannot retreive repository metasdata (repomd.xml) for repository:
fedora. Please verify its path and try again". Message fades out and
machine just sits w/o reponding (I have mouse control, but it doesn't do
anything).

Had to ctrl-alt-backspace, logged in again, and now I only get the sound
effect and the above warning message. The top and bottom tool bars do
not show upas they should, and did the first time.

Shutdown and tried again, still just a sound and warning.

Did not try logging in as root as I didn't have any ideas as to what is
going on and figured I'd only get even more freaked if I lost that access.

Did a quick scan of Anaconda bugs and didn't spot anything. The best I
saw in seaching this forum was a thread on "cannot retrieve repository
metadata", but it seemed to make an assumption either network access was
available or at least Firefox or at least a shell to go looking and
setting things. I got nothing and have no idea how to jump in as single
user mode and what needs to be done given that I am not dealing with
downloads.

As always, help is appreciated.

Paul

For background info, power up says "2.6.25.14.fc.9.i686.PAE" (uname -m
is i686, uname -i is i386 and the install I did was from i386. Red Nat
nash is 6.0.52. The only warning I see in the "see details" is
"lm_sensors: not configured, run sensors_detect" (and I have no idea
what that means)