F7 on EeePC : how to connect??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Aug 17 14:14:44 UTC 2008

   I have what I think is one of the earliest EeePCs; a label on the back
says ASUS 701 -- model number??

   After a lot of trouble, I got it to triple-boot Puppy, Eeedora, and
Fedora 8, two of them from geek sticks. Then when I tried using them all,
I soon found that for anyone with large trifocal fingers and arthritic
eyeballs, about its only worthwhile use would be sitting in waiting
rooms.

   So I fitted it and its peripheral paraphernalia into a suitable
receptacle, and kept that handy. But it happened that I had no occasion
to use it for several weeks.

   When I did, the battery had gone dead, just sitting there.

    Once I got it usable at all again, two of the three boots were
unusable, and the other was my least favorite.

   Yesterday I installed Fedora 7, from a live CD in an external USB
drive -- twice. After the second install, which wouldn't boot, I tried
booting it with the puppy stick inserted -- and it booted, but to Fedora.

   But it can't seem to find the ethernet cable which is plugged right
into it. (Come to think of it, anaconda never asked me its usual routine
questions about connecting.)

   How do I get the fool thing to connect??

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3