F7 on EeePC : how to connect??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Aug 17 21:27:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:59:13 -0700, Roopnarine, Peter wrote:

> Even though you might have an older eee PC model, I suggest that you
> install Fedora 9 on it. Even Fedora 8 is lacking suitable drivers.

	Hmm .... I hadn't thought of the driver question. I do remember
that getting F8 to run on it was one helluva lot of work ...

> recently used liveusb creator to download and install Fedora 9-KDE on an
> eee PC 4G. The live boot worked fine and the machine networked instantly
> with a DHCP connection via LAN cable. I installed from the live desktop,
> using the default partition scheme, and everything was fine upon reboot.

	I'm not sure I even made a liveCD for F9; I had enough trouble
getting usable install media burned. But I'm trying an upgrade now, and
if that fails, I'll try a fresh install next.

	The reason I tried F7 was that I have an older PC, which had run
both F7 and F8 fine, and which seemed to have taken to F9 as well, till
it suddenly seemed to die. I thought my hard drive was kaputt. But then a
young friend who speaks hardware, and works on computers for a living,
brought his whole toolkit over.

	At his behest, I ran DBAN, then installed F7; it took at once,
several weeks ago, and still seems fine.

> I then instrall kmod-madwifi package, and after another reboot, wireless
> was up and running. I travel a lot, and I have to say that my experience
> with the capabilities and convenience of the eee PC are very different
> from yours. I am able to do a lot of work remotely, but I even have the
> Gimp installed on the thing.

	Is kmod-madwifi something I can run under Gnome, or do I need a
different package?

	I don't doubt it's a good machine; but I'll give long odds your
fingers are smaller and more agile, and your eyes sharper, than mine. I
can't manage a touchpad, if that's the name for such things, on a big
laptop, let alone this one.

	It'll do me for waiting in doctors' offices, etc. -- and be small
enough to take to such places. But even with a mouse, I can't keep at it
physically for more than an hour or so.

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3