Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530

Steve Repo scmuser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 06:13:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM, max bianco <maximilianbianco at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> Assume the latter and act accordingly.
> >
> > Like, how? Quick, switch everything to another distro? We don't know
> enough
> > to act reasonably.
> >
> Like keep your eyes open for anything unusual at the least. Do a
> little packet sniffing just to see if there is any unusual traffic...I
> mean take sensible precautions, run chrootkit and rkhunter, run clam,
> obviously you aren't going to blow away boxes on a whim but it pays to
> be aware of what transpires on your network. I thought that is what
> sysadmins were suppossed to do, be aware of what's going on with the
> network.

If only all the sysadmins in the world had the time to check on each system
and every packet on the network! Try looking for a needle in a haysack?

The least fedora could have done is give some suggestions to users on how to
take precautions if this is really a security issue which seems quite
obvious now since it's been days and everyone is in the dark

Steve