Fedora upgrade from 6 to 9

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Aug 18 11:07:11 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 18.08.2008, 13:36 +0300 schrieb Sundeep Pundamale:
> Can some one provide instructions to upgrade fedora 6 to fedora 9. What
> are the precautions that needs to be taken so as to not break the system
> and existing configurations.

Upgrade from version 6 is not specifically supported (to my knowledge)
but the upgrade routines are very mature, so you don't have to worry too
much. It's always a good idea:
-  backup  /etc  on a stick, diskette, etc
-  unmount  /home if it is on a separate file system

You can expect to have a functional system after the upgrade. But you
may have to manually adopt some configurations and may need some hours
to configure the system according to your preferred working environment.
The new versions of some programs changed a lot. Among others there are:
- ATI closed source driver currently doesn't work in F9
- NFS changed a lot compared to F6

You should read the release notes of all the intermediate versions to
keep track which or your programs are affected.

Peter