fonts in QT application (Skype)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Aug 18 14:15:42 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:21:29 +0200
> "David Hl____ik" <david at hlacik.eu> wrote:
>
>> When i open QT
>> application - there are no subpixel rendered fonts

We've been looking into this recently, and it seems that qt(4) doesn't fully
support subpixel rendering abilities of recent versions of freetype.  Stay
tuned.

> I'm fairly certain only GTK apps use the font properties
> provided by the gnome-settings-daemon where all that subpixel
> stuff is stashed.

Correct, so, afaik, only gnome applications benefit here.

> Qt and KDE get their font hint info somewhere else
> (like maybe a ~/.font<something> xml file).

kde saves to  ~/.fonts.conf which can-be/is used by any fontconfig-aware
application.

I'm obviously biased, but guess which approach I prefer? :)

-- Rex