Fedora upgrade from 6 to 9

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Aug 18 14:29:18 UTC 2008

Sundeep Pundamale wrote:
> Can some one provide instructions to upgrade fedora 6 to fedora 9. What
> are the precautions that needs to be taken so as to not break the system
> and existing configurations.

The best advice I can give (having just done this on my laptop) is to
read *all* of the release notes for F7, F8, & F9 before updating or
upgrading anything.  Read about what has changed, and what you need to
do to help facilitate the upgrade.

I did the upgrade using the DVD installation media (from one of the
FedoraUnity spins).  At the same time, I did an architecture change from
i386 to x86_64.  The upgrade itself went pretty smoothly (the 3rd time I
tried it).  I spent most of my time after the upgrade removing old .i386
packages from my system, or at least seeing which old .i386 packages I
*could* remove from my system.

Then again, I like to tinker with my laptop, so I didn't find this a
major problem.  I tend to do this sort of large jump (3 releases) when I
do upgrades these days, and it *never* goes without any hitches.  If you
are at all worried about it, try what Mark suggested and upgrade to each
intervening release as its more likely to catch what's changed between
each individual upgrade.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com