Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Aug 18 18:43:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:15:24 -0800
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> The specific current situation aside for a moment. As a Board member,
> I am interested in thinking about a better mechanism of communication
> of anything hoped to be seen by the entire community.  Is the annouce
> list the best thing we can do?

Personally I don't see any reason not to put important messages
in all the groups (heck, if they are sent as one mail to all
the groups, intelligent mailers can even detect they have already
seen that message-id and only show it to you once).

The key would be the definition of "important" :-). I can't count
the number of delays I have commuting to work because someone who
has the power to do so thinks some message is important enough
to put up on the big message boards on I-95, so everyone slows
down to read stuff like "there will be construction on the turnpike
this weekend", but I'm not on the turnpike, I'm on I-95, and it
isn't the weekend yet anyway :-).

Just glancing at the fedora-announce archives, I'd classify 90% of the
messages I see as "unimportant", so I really don't want to subscribe
to it.

Personally I'd call only two things important: outages of servers
everyone uses (bugzilla, wiki, repos), or compromised security
on those same servers (which propably leads to an outage anyway).