network printer setup, Vol 54, Issue 130

Vincent Onelli vonelli at optonline.net
Mon Aug 18 20:54:21 UTC 2008

>    4. Re: Network printer setup, (Mikkel L. Ellertson)
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:18:31 -0500
> From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> Subject: Re: Network printer setup,
> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Vincent Onelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there some body that can help me to setup a printer? I am new on
> > Linux, and most of the entry required I do not know what to enter in.
> > I had send similar message before but I did not get any answer. I
> > understand your have a large number of messages to get to, but please
> > try to understand our new user problem, without your help we could not
> > survive very long with Linux, I have several friends that tried Linux
> > for a short period of time and then abandon it. I am the stubborn one,
> > but now I am stuck,I need to use this printer it is the only one that I
> > have to print on paper 17x22.
> > I very much appreciate if some one can give me a detailed guideline on
> > what to enter on various setup phase, one answer I received pointed me
> > to http://localhost:631 but then what I enter to various steps? I try to
> > enter some thing but Icould not get pass the verification stage the user
> > or the password were not accepted, I assume that it want the root PW but
> > I also tried the user PW, no luck.
> > Some info on my system:
> >      Dell Dimension 8300.
> >      Netgear router WGR614v6
> >      Printer Server Netgear PS101
> >      Printer Epson Stylus Color 1520
> >  It work fine with windows and these are the setting as listed on the
> >  Router:     Printer Server Netgear PS101. Lan manager printer port
> > PSE6D76B
> >                              Printer server port    LPT1:PSE6D76B
> >                              Server Name             PSE6D76B
> >                              IP Address              192.168.1.3
> >
> > Epson Setup:                 Name                    Epson1520
> >                              Hostname                192.168.1.3
> >                              Queue                   PSE6D76B
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >  Vinny
> >
> Ok - the first thing is that the user and password it is asking for
> defaults to root and root's password. Normal users login and
> password do not work unless they are added.
>
> >From there, you want the Administration tab. From there you can
> click on the Find New Printers. If the printserver supports IPP,
> then you can have CUPS can find it for you. It will do most of the
> setup for you.
>
> If CUPS does not find the printer, you will have to use Add New
> Printer. You then will want to pick LPD/LPR Host or Printer.

Under this selection LPD/LPR I only find 2 lines Host and Queue on these
I try several combination
1. Host:	"192.168.1.3"
   Queue:	"PSE6D76B"
2. Host:	"localhost"
   Queue:	"192.168.1.3"
did not work.

I also try the Internet printing protocol, here I also found the same 2
line to fill, the third line URI indicate the combination of the two
lines so I entered "192.168.1.3" for the host and "PSE6D76B" for Queue
filled in this way the URI line looks the closest to your suggestion
URI: ipp://192.168.1.3/PSE6D76tB. But it did not work.