Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Aug 19 08:59:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 18:04 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 10:15 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Is the annouce list the best thing we can do?
>
> Well, those who *want* to know these things,
"Wanting to know" isn't the problem.

Communicating the appropriate pieces of information to the appropriate
audiences in appropriate time is the problem.

E.g. "ordinary" users do not need to know if e.g. the buildsystem is
down, however they would have to know about which precautions to take to
protect their systems in case malicious/compromised packages should have
hit the repos and need to be informed when the "danger is over".
For such cases, sending emails to an announce list hardly is an
appropriate means, because one can't expect ordinary users to be
subscribed.

Ralf