F8: Nautilus: Strange behaviors...

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Aug 19 14:43:47 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> As the rolling joke goes, I keep my mouse balls clean. :D
>>

> to wit, your mouse has more than one?

No, just one ball - I was trying to make a joke out of it. Guess it
didn't work ;)
> does jumping occur in both axes? open it's sack [unscrew top from bottom, not
> just remove ball retainer] and look inside. check to see if chopper [disk with
> holes] is dirty or if chopper axle rod, ball presses against it, and ball
> pressure roller, have any built up.
>
> to check mouse's tail, hold mouse firmly with one hand, wiggle tail. also,
> while moving mouse in straight line, wiggle tail to see if jumping increases.

I have done all that you said: unscrewed the base and checked everything
out - it it
is fully functioning - no wire breaks - chopper wheel clean, both axis,
all of that.
The mouse works fine.  The problem appears when working with Nautilus -
but other
applications works fine.  I even tried another mouse (same make) and the
problem is
still there.  As I said, the problem is induced when over-taxing
Nautilus, along with
"abusing" the scrollbars, fast-clicking via the folders, moving the
mouse around "too
fast" between panes, and so on.  I have learned to "take it easy" on
Nautilus by slowing
down and the problem occurs more rarely.

Dan