Removing and re-installing gconf & gconf-editor ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Aug 19 16:49:33 UTC 2008

Hi;

I just freshly re-installed Fedora 9.

Problem:

Many of my gnome applets and desktop are still not working as they
should.

gconf & gconf-editor is not giving me the same keys in 'root' as in
'user' for common applications because (I think) gconf in 'user' is
being over ridden by the '/home/user/.gconf' in the /home partition that
I preserved on the new install.  I used the 'root account ' as a
comparison because its .gconf was removed and re-written by gconf on
installation.

gconf-cleaner in 'user' finds more and more keys to change or remove
each time I run it in whichever 'user account ' ( I have three on my
machine.)

The problems that I have and that have persisted with the re-install
are:

      * Information for system => networking => is missing from
        my .gconf and gconf-editor.  I have been told by several people
        on this list that that data should be present although I don't
        remember having seen it before.
      * The latest linux kernel update was installed but was not being
        updated in  grub.conf.
      * 'clock' applet not getting task and calendar info from Evolution
        properly.  The clock applet has different keys in root from
        user. The biggest difference being the  inclusion
        of /apps/panel/default_setup/applets/clock/bonobo_iid and the
        absence of the choices for task list and appointments.  Every
        time I click on it disappears from the panel and warns me to
        reload. (I include that as a symptom of bigger things)
      * My trashcan has disappeared from my desktop and nautilus through
        gconf-editor won't/can't put it back.  I have had several people
        post me about how it is supposed to work.  I assure everyone I
        have marked it as visible in nautilus => desktop. That works
        when I am logged in as root but not as a user.
      * Plus other screwy things are going on with other applications
        that may or may not be related.  I haven't chased them down yet,
        and it may not be necessary if I can get my gconf working.

I have checked the logs and roots messages nothing _seems_ untoward on
the surface of it (some unalarming gnome-keyring messages and gconfd
resolving some addresses).

Unless someone has a better solution, I was thinking of 'yum remove
gconf gconf-editor' and deleting all my user's .gconf dir/files.  Then
re-installing gconf and gconf-editor.

However, that means I lose all my configurations for all my apps; and,
gconf-editor has a lot of dependencies.  If yum had a way to remove an
app while leaving the dependencies intact or a way to do a 'dry run' I
wouldn't be asking for advice. I have read through man yum-utils etc and
see nothing useful there.  I am not sure rpm -evv --nodeps -- test would
be any better.

If anyone has a better idea of where the problems might lie or how to
fix them please let me know.

The thing that bothers me about my solution is that gconf should have
installed in the first place accommodating my preexisting ~/.gconf.  As
far as I can tell, I have not touched or been messing about with
anything that should damage gconf.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3