network printer setup, Vol 54, Issue 130

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 19 20:59:18 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 10:01 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> In my experience the queue name is the same as the name of the printer.
>>> Where did you get the queue name: PSE6D76B ?
>> He is using a print server with a printer attached.

> If that is true then no configuration of the printer on the local
> machine is required since the Print Server should broadcast that
> information. As long as they are the same lan the address of the Print
> Server should not be needed on the local machine, however it could be
> filled in on the clients.conf file on the local machine.

It would if it supported IPP. But this model does not. (I downloaded
the manual.) ALso, you would still have to set the printer model
because it doesn't look like this model sends that information.

It it looks like that queue name is for Windows printing, and it
should be L1 for LPD use. I had to get the PS100 series manual to
find that. If you have one of the multi-port models, you can have L2
and L3 as well. On the other hand, the PS101 manual talks about
being able to configure logical ports, so it makes me wounder if you
can have more then one print queue with different processing
depending on the logical port. But it looks like mainly the header
after the print job and cr/lf translation are all you can set.

I would not mind having one to play with, but I am not sure I would
buy one for my own use. I like network printers better.

Mikkel