OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Aug 19 23:10:55 UTC 2008

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > Dean Messing wrote:
> > I just purchaced a Macbook for my daughter as she's off to college
> > (required by the dept. she's in).  I'm wondering if OS X understands
> > the ext3 filesysystem.  In particular, will it properly handle
> > symlinks generated under linux?
<snip>

> Not out of the box.
>
> I think this is the project I'm using to access my linux external
> drives.
>
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>

Not what I was hoping to hear. :-)
(But  thanks for your quick response!

I'll have a look but, being entirely ignorant of Macs, I probably
shd. ask another question:

Is there F/S that Mac and Linux have in common that supports
symlinking?  I have the ntfs-3g stuff installed on this F8 machine,
but I don't know if (i) Mac speaks it and (ii) it supports symlinks.
I can find out for myself if (ii) is true, but I don't
have access to a Mac to find out (i).

Dean