OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Wed Aug 20 01:51:44 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> a network is 2 computers and a network cable. Since the new MacBook will
> clearly have 1Gb network connection, a simple cable between the 2
> computers is your network and all you need to do is manually address
> them on the same network/subnet and you can transfer the file(s) via
> scp.

Agreed.  And I'd be willing to bring my linux laptop if I had enough
knowledge of Macs to even turn one on :-) I have 0 knowledge of the
Mac (and no time to learn).  On the other hand I feel some confidence
that I can get a writable HFS+ filesystem onto an 120GB USB drive that
I'm cleaning off right now.

I've downloaded hfsplus-tools. Now all I need to do is find
"pdisk" so I can create a Mac partition on the drive, run 1mkfs.hfsplus',
figure out how to turn off journaling, and I'm there (I think).

I'm perfectly confortable working in Linux, but I'm out of my depth
with a Mac (or M$ Windows for that matter).  If I had a few days
to tinker around, or someone to do the Mac side for me I might be able to do it.
But I don't.   Thanks for your patience.

Dean