[F8] Installing Lame

orfeo no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Wed Aug 20 05:39:01 UTC 2008

I had exaclty the SAME PROBLEM: UNABLE TO INSTALL LAME

First of all, would you please excuse my bad English. Second, please note that:
- I am a newbie in Linux
- I use the netbook Acer Aspire OneAcer [1],;  which embeds a (lighter version of) Fedora8; the device pleases me very much and gives me the will to go further with Linux Fedora, though I feel a bit lost. This forum seems to be the first serious one I encounter.

I may have encounter the same  _conflict_ issue, but it can only come from a contradiction between the official Fedora repository ant Livna, as I have not installed any other repository than Livna:
[root at localhost [2] lib]# ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
fedora-development.repo  fedora-updates.repo          livna-devel.repo  livna-testing.repo
fedora.repo              fedora-updates-testing.repo  livna.repo
[root at localhost [3] lib]#

 FINALLY, I downloaded the suggested rpm from http://atrpms.net/dist/f8/lame/ [4]  , installed the required dependencies, and had no conflict issue.

I don't understand very well what I have done, and why it is so complicated, so:
QUESTION: could anyone give some excellent links to clearly written tutorials about how to (properly) install software on Linux (especially Fedora)? And about that problem of dependencies and rpm package (why isn't it as simple as it is on Windows?).
I bought a very nice book: _Fedora Linux Toolbox_, by Chr. Negus & Fr. Caen, ISBN 978-0-470-08291-1 ($24.99). But  its level assumes the reader knows all that very well.

Thanks for your help.

Orfeo

Links:
------