Cairo-like dock for KDE? [SOLVED]

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Wed Aug 20 08:11:14 UTC 2008

On Monday 18 August 2008 19:42, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Ok, you  know, that thing from Mac OS X, that zooms the icons
> > parabolically when you hover the pointer over them...
>
> Cairo is available in Fedora:
>
> cairo-dock
> cairo-dock-devel
> cairo-dock-plug-ins
> cairo-dock-plug-ins-xfce
> cairo-dock-themes

Now this calls for a "WOW!!!", I'm impressed !! :-)

At first google helped me find something called "OxygenLeopard", a
SuperKaramba widget that was pretty much a disaster, a simple python script
that draws the icons. It had no way of configuring, and the script itself was
pretty badly written.

Then I tried KoolDock, which looked much more promising. It was configurable,
apparently did the job required, but somehow was "jumpy" in animation.

But then I tried the "real thing", and of course it completely outperforms
KoolDock, and I guess pretty much everything else. It is beutiful, slick,
smooth in animation, has bunch of themes, configurable beyond any
imagination... I am considering to drop the plasma-panel (at least until kde
4.1 comes around) as Cairo can be configured with equivalent functionality,
even more, while it looks *much* better... I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks to Phil and others for the info, and especially the Fedora team who
made this beautiful thingy available!

:-)
Marko