Which ATI graphics card shall I choose for fedora/rhel

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 20 11:12:37 UTC 2008

Chris Jones writes:

>> That's an R500 chipset. It'll work in 2d now, and 3D (and with compiz) in
>> the future. If you need 3D now, you need a much older card -- R200 or R300
>> chipset. Look at the man page for "radeon" for product name-to-chipset
>> matching.
>
> Any reason why it has to be ATI ? Nvidia make cards too ...

Well, yes, but while native x.org/mesa support for ATI is growing, since ATI
is opening up their hardware to the free software community, for the
foreseeable future you will always need Nvidia's binary blobs, to drive
their hardware. ATI should be supported for their decision to support the
free software community, and Nvidia should be boycotted.