[OT] Machine won't boot

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200808 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:02:35 UTC 2008

Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu> writes:
> Yeah, I know of the low-quality-capacitors-in-the-old-motherboards problem.
> But would the bios setup run with no problems with capacitors on the
> motherboard faulty? I'll look into it, but somehow I doubt that they are the
> cause. It is some part of hardware that gets initialized only *after* the
> bios, during boot. But then again, I can't be sure.

I didn't buy a motherboard during the time they were manufactured with
the faulty capacitors, so I don't know how the boards act when they
start to fail, but I do know what it feels like when the capacitors in
the main power supply start to fail.

My computer would boot and let me get into the bios setup with no
problem, but it would randomly fail once up and running, usually when
doing a big compile or running the cron tasks.  As time when on, it
failed with less and less provocation.  Finally it stopped booting
entirely.  That is when I swapped power supplies and did a face-palm
thing wondering why it took me so long to realize the PS was going
bad.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.