How to search the Fedora List

Wayne Feick waf at brunz.org
Thu Aug 21 00:34:51 UTC 2008

Hi Dave,

It's pretty easy to do what you want, since open search is very
extensible.

First, you need to create a web page with the following in its header.
This only seems to work when you actually retrieve it over the web,
rather than from the local filesystem.

        <link
         rel="search"
         type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"
         title="MarkMail(fedora-list)"
         href="fedora-list.xml"/>

Next create fedora-list.xml in the same directory

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/" xmlns:moz="http://www.mozilla.org/2006/browser/search/">
          <ShortName>MarkMail(fedora-list)</ShortName>
          <LongName>MarkMail Email Search of fedora-list</LongName>
          <Description>Search through fedora-list email archives at MarkMail</Description>
          <Tags>email open source</Tags>
          <Url  type="text/html"
                method="GET"
                template="http://markmail.org/search/list:com.redhat.fedora-list?q={searchTerms}" />
          <Image width="16" height="16">http://markmail.org/favicon.ico</Image>
          <Query role="example" searchTerms="MarkMail" />
          <Developer>MarkMail</Developer>
          <Attribution>Search results copyright 2008 Mark Logic, All Rights Reserved</Attribution>
          <SyndicationRight>open</SyndicationRight>
          <AdultContent>false</AdultContent>
          <Language>en-us</Language>
          <OutputEncoding>UTF-8</OutputEncoding>
          <InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
          <moz:SearchForm>http://markmail.org/</moz:SearchForm>
        </OpenSearchDescription>

When you load the web page in firefox, the plugin will be automatically
detected and offered as an alternative search engine. You need to click
on the search engine selector at the top right of the firefox window to
see the offer.

I just did this on my browser and it worked fine. Click here if you
don't want to be bothered setting it up yourself.

        http://www.brunz.org/~waf/fedora-list/

Wayne.