ATI driver on F9

Steve Repo scmuser at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 04:38:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Patrick Kaiser <patrick at argonius.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I installed F9 on my new desktop with an ATI Radeon 3600, I was
> still waiting for the ATI driver update, because of "problems" with the
> newest Xorg version.
> Finaly, today there was a release on ATI site
> (http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html)
>
> Just tried it out, but there is also the same error. Does anyone knows
> more, when there will be a compatible driver from ATI for the newest
> Xorg version?
> I do not really want to downgrade my Xorg version. :(

ATI binary releases are useless for 90% of the users unless you hack
youe environment.  And each months release is one stupidity over
another.  The last 4/5 months release didn't fix anything but added
more bugs.

Either the kernel is unsupported of the Xorg.  Currently 2.6.26 is
supported and Xorg isn't.  Hopefully when Xorg is released next month
it will be supported but not 2.6.27.

And so it goes...

I'm more interested in OSS drivers than the binary crap.

Steve