Signing for fedora-announce with fedora-list (was Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530)

Marcelo M. Garcia marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:39:04 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:35:49 +0100, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
>
>> g wrote:
>>>

>>> Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> you do not need a bunch of detailed pages if you just read what is at;

>>> filters are filters. email clients are not all same when it comes to
>>> setting up filters. among easiest to set up is thunderbird.
>>>
>> Hi
>>
>> In the page that you suggest, I read "Announcements related to the
>> Fedora Project", which seems a pretty much vague.
>
> Okay, but Fedora is the distribution released by the Fedora Project, so
> related announcements should be of interest to anyone having to do
> something with Fedora. The online list archive shows that only a very few
> announcements have been made before.

Humm. I think you are confirming  what I said. If every user should be
in both, since they have something to do with Fedora, why to separated
lists?

>> And the other says
>> "For users of Fedora", which is my case. To me don't seem logical that I
>> should sign to both.
>
> Splitting-hairs. Many more lists could be made obsolete with such
> a reasoning.

OK. Maybe they should. Some house keeping once in a while is good.

>> The whole point is, if it is so obvious that one that signs for
>> Fedora-list should also sign for Fedora-Announce, why two separated
>> lists?
>
> And who maintains the _list of lists_ to which announcements shall
> be sent? Do you ask for major cross-posts to [more than] a dozen lists?

Yes, I'm talking about Fedora-Announce and Fedora-List only.

>> If the announces are important and concern to the users.
>
> ... not just to "the users", but also to several other target groups,
> who may not be subscribed to fedora-list.
>
> Same applies to fedora-package-announce list.

I'm not so sure if packages-announce is in the same level as
Fedora-announce.

>> Even in a high volume list like "Fedora-list", if I see a header
>> "[INFRASTRUCTURE TEAM - Urgent] ..." I will read the message.
>
> Only if you read the list on a daily basis or if you know what
> special subject marker to search for in your filters.

Yes. I read the list every day.

>> Maybe because English is not my native tongue, but the word
>> "announcement" doesn't to suggest something that important.
>
> Announcements at the airport or at the train-station, do you ignore
> them?

If I remember right, the announcements in airports or train stations are
made to all users and it's user's responsibility to decide what to do.

Now image the opposite situation, that you have to go to a specific
place, a room, to have announcements. I think that the life of
travellers would be much more difficult.

Regards

M.