Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Adam Hough adam at gradientzero.com
Thu Aug 21 17:31:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
> I know this has been bandied about by every n00b about once every couple of
> months, but hear me out.
>
> I'm no n00b and I'm in the awkward position to try to find a potential
> replacement for our Proprietary monitoring solution (SMARTS if anyone is
> familiar with it.)  We run SMARTS along with Nagios and several home grown
> scripts, but my boss has this itch to find something that might potentially
> replace SMARTS, but give him a nice GUI to work with.
>
> I've used Nagios and I like it.  Also BB4.  But what else is out there that
> is new or relatively new, that does network monitoring and alerting?
>
> We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface monitoring
> on our core routers, etc.  WE also need something really granular for
> alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with messages at night
> for things that aren't critical.
>
> Has anyone used (or is using) something not that many not be well known but
> works well that they can recommend for me to take a look at?
>
> I've googled until I'm sick of it, and nothing I've picked out really
> strikes me as adequate for our needs.  So now I'm turning to the Fedora
> community for ideas.
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>
> --

There is almost to many to list that are out there.
* Hobbit ( a open source BB clone)
* Nagios  (Nagios 3 has been released as stable now.  You can get an
fedora 10 rpm of it and edit it to recompile it on RHEL5/centos5
easily as the plugins for nagios seem to be forward/backwards
compatable))
* OpenNMS (I know the Networking group at LSU uses this or did when I
worked there)
* Zabbix
* Cacti (for if you just want an something that that is a front end of
RRDtool to replace mrtg / ganglia)

I would have to recommend that is you are running a large network to
take a look at OpenNMS though I honestly have not had to deal with it
for over a year now.