Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Aug 21 18:27:33 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Adam Hough wrote:

> I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try
> to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version
> dependencies.   It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum
> from their 'unstable' repository.   A neat trick for notification is to
> also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a multiuser
> conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send notifications
> there.  Then when you are interested in seeing all of the notifications,
> just connect to the conference with any xmpp client.  You can also
> configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to email if you want.

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested in
something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.  Something
new, maybe, or something I've not heard of.  The previous reply
mentioned Zabbix, which I've never heard of and one I might take a look at.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support