Infrastructure status, 2008-08-19 UTC 0200

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at wowway.com
Thu Aug 21 23:45:12 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:35:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> I myself am not on the announce list
>
> Why not?

Because I never thought the list was informative.

>> so it was not a good choice to
>> inform users of the infrastructure problem.
>
> That's a weird conclusion. Certainly it was a good choice to send an
> announcement to the fedora-announce-list, because that is where it
> belongs.

If the issue is important enough, it should be broadcast to all of the
popular lists. I found out via a question and reply on the
fedora-test-list which clued me into the situation.

>> I read a mail to a link on the test list initially.
>>
>> I think that broadcasting important messages via the more popular lists
>> is helpful.
>
> fedora-list? It is a high-traffic discussion list where one can miss an
> important message too easily in hundreds of unimportant messages which
> are filtered into a special folder.

It being a high volume list pretty much prevents every user to have
filtered the important message and replies to the message out.

> I don't know what the subscriber count for both lists is to judge about
> their popularity, but fedora-announce-list is more important than
> fedora-list.

I'll have to check it out to see if it is informative on an ordinary
traffic basis to join. I believe I was on this list once and it only
seemed to be current released updates information.

> [Btw, fedora-test-list ought to be merged with fedora-devel-list,
> and Test Update release reports ought to be posted to fedora-list.]

The last time that I was on the development list it had an atmosphere of
don't post here, this is for developers to discuss issues. I believe
there is a warning to that effect on the web page to sign up.
The fedora-test-list works out fine for informing people of problems
with development and also the testing updates get feedback to the
developers who are subscribed to that list.

Due to different objectives for Fedora-test and fedora-development I
think merging the lists would be like merging two political parties on
one list.

Regarding Fedora testing updates being shifted to the Fedora-list, I
think it would be an inconvenience to the developers who want feedback
on their works. It would also confuse regular distro users and set them
into a false alarm worry. The fedora-list should be for regular release
Fedora issues. I don't mind seeing Development release user issues being
discussed here and have voiced issues from development here. It is like
top-posting and gets a lot of anti-posts and redirection.

Basically Fedora-announce may be appropriate for informing users to
issues. It by far is an insufficient avenue, like one air raid siren in
the whole country and expecting everybody to take cover when it sounds.

Jim

--
... this must be what it's like to be a COLLEGE GRADUATE!!