Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 21 23:59:10 UTC 2008

Mike McCarty wrote:

> After a manual mount, I have...
>
> /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)
>
> My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:
>
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> [spaces removed for clarity of reading]
>
> I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
> /dev/cdrom.
>
> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>
> Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Mikkel