Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 00:08:39 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> After a manual mount, I have...
>>
>> /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)
>>
>> My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:
>>
>> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>>
>> [spaces removed for clarity of reading]
>>
>> I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
>> /dev/cdrom.
>>
>> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>>
>> Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.
>>
> You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If

Yes, that's what I did just up above. I guess you missed that.
Anyway, here's what it shows with the Memorex (which works)

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:02 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd

The drive which isn't working the way I want is jumpered as
Master. The drive is on the end, however, so even if jumpered
as CS it would be Master. Well, I just pulled it, and it's
jumpered as Slave. That may well be the whole problem. Time
for another reboot and check.

> this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
> are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
> was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
> master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.