Infrastructure status, 2008-08-19 UTC 0200

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 00:28:36 UTC 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:35:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> I myself am not on the announce list
>> Why not?
>
> Because I never thought the list was informative.

This is a perception that needs correcting. Unfortunately, the people
that foster that perception are anything but under the redhat
umbrella. (Happen to be trying to tear it down, right now, if you
know what I mean.) Just look at their record to see the difference
between what they preach and what they do.

In many parts of Japan there is a over-the-wire emergency broadcast
system that pre-dated the internet. (And has since been at least
partially re-purposed in many small towns to bring broadband in
before any independent ISPs showed interest. I think, if you think
about it, you can think of some implementation issues there.) The
original purpose of the system was to broadcast earthquake and storm
(typhoon, etc.) warnings and such.

There are some lists in which no news is good news. That does not
mean the list is useless.