Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 00:56:24 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
> this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
> are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
> was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
> master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Ok, I put both of them on the cable, jumpered as CS, with the CD
on the Master, and the DVD on the slave location. I rebooted, and
got an entry in my fstab...

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces edited]

Also,

$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:26 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd
brw-rw----  1 root disk 15, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdu31a
brw-rw----  1 root disk 24, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdu535
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/hdd

The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.