Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Fri Aug 22 07:32:23 UTC 2008

Ken Gullaksen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 20:50 +0200, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>
>> I think I have tried everything to fire up some browser applets in
>> some web-pages that I am visting frequently.
>> Everything was OK under FC 5 - Firefox -2, but now it just does not
>> start.
>> I expect a login screen as the first response to starting up, but it
>> does never appear.
>> - I have installed the libjavaplugin_oji.so softlink in /home/<my
>> user>/.mozilla/plugins
>> - I have tried both jre 6 and jre 5 (i have installed the .bin self
>> extracting file according to some advide I found)
>> - I have Gooogled extensively to get hints, some were fond, but they
>> did not work.
>> - I have checked /usr/java/jre1.5.0_16/bin/ControPanel, as well as
>> the /usr/java/ jre1.6.0_07/-ditto- and I cannot find anything wrong.
>> - Right now the ..-oji.so points to jre1.5....
>>
>> - Perhaps Firefox-9 searces in some other location to find this link?
>> I have found no hint about that. In FC 5 this works like a charm.
>>
>> - One text I found hinted that this area is full of potential
>> trouble, and one issue is which version of C has been used to compile
>> both Java and Firefox.
>>
> Is this 64bit or 32?
>
> run 'uname -a' if your not sure

[par at localhost root]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 4
13:57:11 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I ordered a 32 bits machine - Intel Core 2 Duo, and I have 4 GB Ram of
which 3.7 GB is accessible according to "about the machine", so this
should be 32 bits.

Brgds
PAR