network vs NetworkManger services ??

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 22 08:18:04 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

>> it's rather annoying to be told something works automatically
>> if in fact it doesn't work for you.
>> It doesn't leave much room for advice on what to do about it.
>
> The answer's rather obvious:  If it doesn't work for you, then use
> something *else* that's not automatic.  It's *always* been the case that
> automatic /somethings/ aren't suitable for all situations (cars with
> automatic transmissions have problems in some conditions, auto-focus
> lenses make mistakes under many conditions, etc.).

1) NM is actually working fine for me.

2) I don't believe NM is "automatic", whatever that means.
It is pretty obvious if you look at it
that NM stores quite a lot of information.
Also the minuscule NM documentation suggests that
it does look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ .

3) If I had an automatic car that did not work
I would not be happy if the garage told me
that the solution was to get another car.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366