Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 22 16:26:57 UTC 2008

Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> ..snip..
>>

>>> Also in reply to Ed:
>>> There are two web-pages (both for interactive currency trading):
>>> 1) http://www.cbfx.com and
>>
>> Do you mean the login at
>> https://live.webtradingonline.com/web/webtrading.aspx  ?
>>
>> It is a flash application.
> Start with www.cbfx.com
> Click Live Account Login - choose ICTS institutional login
> Then "Platform Login (java version)"
> Then this URL is launched:
> http://live.cbfx.sysfx.com:8100/trade/trade.jsp?entry=deal.77&lang=en_US
> and (when it works) after some processing the login screen appears.
> At the top of this screen (with red capital letters (CLOSE THIS PAGE
> ONLY...)
> there is a marked triangle in grayish color which used to display the
> Java symbol
> as the applet was firing up.
> Now nothing happens and the message line at the botton says "Done".

OK....

This works fine in one of my environments.  I get the login applet.

>>> 2) http://www.forex.com
>>> Both these are made for JRE 1.4... are there major revisions in 1.5
>>> that might
>>> cause problems?
>>
>> This works fine on FF 3.0.1 and Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b06 on
>> RHELv5.  It does not work on FF 3.0.1 with:
>>
>> GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2
>>
>>     File name: gcjwebplugin.so
>>     The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
> This is installed  -- but it does not work in your environment?
> Maybe that is the problem then,...
> and RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise?? What plugin does it use to execute applets?

gcjwebplugin.so does not work as hoped.  This is the open source environment.

> Is there something else besides gcjwebplugin.so that might help execute
> java applets?

I think what needs to be understood is that, at least for me, the Sun
supplied java pieces work just fine with the URLs that you have listed.

The open-java stuff does not work.

As far as I can tell you have both the open-java as well as the Sun java
environments installed.  It isn't clear to me what environment is being
picked up by your browser.