Fedora 9 install method, when Graphics Card / LCD not detected

Steve Repo scmuser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:53:53 UTC 2008

2008/8/22 Jay Mistry <jaylinux52 at gmail.com>:

>> Welcome to Fedora!
>>
>> Login to the terminal as root.
>>
>> Run system-config-display --reconfig
>>
>> This should walk you through the display setup again.
>>
>> You may need the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website for optimal graphics
>> setup.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the nVidia drivers (as a file with the .run extension,
> i.e. NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run, from
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_173.14.12.html) and have put
> them on a CD. I can put them on an ext3 partition that I use as 'Data
> Storage' (done from the Parted Magic 3 Live Bootable CD, that has gparted
> also) or can also put them on a USB Disk.
>
> How to proceed after that ? (I guess it will involve typing some commands
> from RL 3; but am unsure of the exact cmds to type & how to proceed
> thereafter. (I can get to the grub boot menu, but after that it's a
> no-show).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

When at the grub menu, press a for append mode. You will be at the end
of the grub line, add "init=3" (no quotes) at the end and press enter.

You may have to login here as "root" (no quotes) with the password you
setup during the install.

 After you login type, system-config-display --reconfig

It will try to identify a resolution for the vesa driver.

Once it does so (even if it is 640x480) .. accept it and reboot.

Now you should get a GUI login screen.

Login as root, insert CD. CD will be automounted on the desktop, Copy
the nvidia driver file to the desktop,

Open terminal and type , cd Desktop.

Then type, sh <name of the nvidia file>

Follow the instructions :)

Also there should be newer Nvidia binary driver than the one you have
downloaded.

If you can login to the gui, you can download directly (it will
download to Downloads) to the filesystem.

Steve