Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Fri Aug 22 19:34:04 UTC 2008

* Per Anton Rønning <pa-ronn at online.no> [2008-08-22 14:40]:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> ..snip..

>>> Start with www.cbfx.com
>>> Click Live Account Login - choose ICTS institutional login
>>> Then "Platform Login (java version)"
>>> Then this URL is launched:
>>> http://live.cbfx.sysfx.com:8100/trade/trade.jsp?entry=deal.77&lang=en_US
>>> and (when it works) after some processing the login screen appears.
>>> At the top of this screen (with red capital letters (CLOSE THIS PAGE
>>> ONLY...)
>>> there is a marked triangle in grayish color which used to display the
>>> Java symbol
>>> as the applet was firing up.
>>> Now nothing happens and the message line at the botton says "Done".
>>
>> OK....
>>
>> This works fine in one of my environments.  I get the login applet.
> Fine!!

>>> This is installed  -- but it does not work in your environment?
>>> Maybe that is the problem then,...
>>> and RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise?? What plugin does it use to execute
>>> applets?
>>
>> gcjwebplugin.so does not work as hoped.  This is the open source
>> environment.
>>
>>> Is there something else besides gcjwebplugin.so that might help execute
>>> java applets?
>>
>> I think what needs to be understood is that, at least for me, the Sun
>> supplied java pieces work just fine with the URLs that you have listed.
> Ok, that may be it. I'd better clean the PC of everything Java
> runtime-related, and reinstall
> the programs from Sun.

That should not be necessary. Multiple versions of multiple VM's can
co-exist peacefully. I have had machines with different versions of 4
jvms (IBM/BEA/Sun/IcedTea) and they have been fine. It appears there is
some issue with setup on your end.

> Fedora 9 had Java installed ($java did execute before I started downloading
> anything)
> I guess this is Java Development  then - since JRE was missing.

Right, once you have java-1.6.0-openjdk installed, "java" should work.

> Am I then safe to assume that removal of everything under
> /usr/java/jre1.n... (I have both n=5 and n=6) will be enough?

Only Sun rpms install in /usr/java AFAIK. Removing those rpms should
clean up that directory. Alternatively, those dirs may have come from
manually extracting the Sun binary distribution, in which case you can
just rm -rf them to clean up.

> The libjavaplugin_oji.so is set to point to jre1.5... and I cannot remember
> where I got that from.
> So, my procedure would be:
> Delete everything below /usr/java - download jre.1.5-- from Sun and install
> it.
> (I did also use www.java.com before)
> I did not use .rpm downloads, some advice I picked up in some article I
> read.
> I have observed that the install procedure (starting the self extracting
> .bin file) is creating some libraries, do I have to remove these as well,
> or will they be overwritten?

Everything extracted by the Sun .bin is in a single dir, so removing that
should be enough.

> I cannot remember where they were located, perhaps yum can list then  ..
> (that I cannot remember either, I am going to buy more memory! :-)  )
> BTW: In what environment exactly did you manage to bring up the login
> screen?
> You use jre1.5--- ?
>
>> The open-java stuff does not work.

openjdk in Fedora 9 currently uses the GCJ web plugin, which lacks
LiveConnect support. So sites that make use of that will not work. We
are working on that support, and you can always check out iced tea and
try out the new experimental plugin if you like to live on the edge :)

>> As far as I can tell you have both the open-java as well as the Sun java
>> environments installed.  It isn't clear to me what environment is being
>> picked up by your browser.
>>
> Honestly, it is not clear to me either right now. I was not aware that this
> was an issue,
> so I did not think about it at all.

The environment picked up by the browser plugin is dependent on where
the linked .so points to. If you want to use the Sun plugin for example,
make sure that the .so in the plugins dir (~/.mozilla/plugins/ or
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins) is a _symlink_ to the .so in the java dir.
Copying the file will probably not work..

For example, if you want to use the vm in /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_10/ , make
sure you have a link:

libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_10/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

In one of those plugins dir. If you have that, that is the jvm that will
be used.

Cheers,
Deepak