japanese keyboards and xorg (and macs?)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 01:09:15 UTC 2008

When running the installer, my Japanese iBook takes the US keyboard
map, which is not totally evil, just a little bit confusing at times.

In openBSD, I have been able to get most of the keyboard mapped to
the Japanese keyboard, merely by copying the jp keyboard mapping file
from /etc/X11/xkb/symbols into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and
setting the keyboard to jp in xorg.conf. But two keys remain
unaccessible, and one key does not remap, leaving me unable to type
underscore, right bracket, and right brace in the Japanese map.
Again, on the openBSD system, I tried the xev utility, and determined
that the two keys that are unaccessible are just not generating events.

If I get Fedora 9 running on this iBook I expect I'll see the same
thing.

Has anyone here has seen this kind of problem? or could anyone give
me some suggestions?