lvm resizing and shifting

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Aug 23 07:07:01 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 22.08.2008, 23:05 -0700 schrieb Craig White:
> this as a result of resizing/shrinking /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 down
> from approximately 180 Gb down to 90 Gb (obviously the ext3 filesystem
> was resized first because it's working).
>
> I wanted to create free space in the process to do another install not
> in the LVM but apparently the swap portion /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 is 1
> Gb and I'm guessing that it has to be moved to be contiguous
> with /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 and that should somehow make the allow the
> rest of the space to be free to be re-used in other ways.
>
> What piece of information am I missing to make the now approx 90Gb free?

Not shure if I understand you correctly. You modified the *logical*
volumes. This process does not modify the LVM and the physical partition
on the disk (sda1). Now there is space in the LVM to create just another
logical volume, but that is not what you want.

If you wish to create an additional non-LVM you have to create
a /dev/sda2 which in turn requires to modify (shrink) the /dev/sda1
partition where the LVM is located. I don't know if there are tools
available to do that in a safe manner. You may check man pvresize

Regarding swap you may disable swap in fstab and simply delete the lv.
When you are finished you may recreate and enable it.

Peter