pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 23 09:46:13 UTC 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008, g wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
><snip>
>[1]
>
>>> be having address conflict.
>>
>> Never had one before pulseaudio.  No legitimate reason I should have one
>> now.
>
>[2]
>
>>> maybe disable ac97 in bios to see padmin shows.
>>
>> I don't think I can in this bios.
>
>strange a bios writer would not consider need to disable. jumpers maybe?
>what is board make, model? bios version?
>
>[3]
>
>> If I rpm -e pulseaudio, or as much as I can without completely
>> eviscerating the system, it will start working, or did the last time,
>> without even a reboot.
>
>1 & 3 made me do some more thinking and that it is definitely pulseaudio,
>so i took a look at   http://www.pulseaudio.org
>and found there to be some problems.
>
>searches as: ac97, sbo-400, then "audigy 2" using quotes.
>
>these are hits and traces;
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/266
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=ac97&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/139
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22Audigy+2%22&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticke
>t=on http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/247
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/206
>http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=Audigy+2&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changese
>t=on&wiki=on
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=sbo-400&noquickjump=1&ticket=on&changese
>t=on&wiki=on
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/search?q=%22ac97%22+AND+%22sbo-400%22&wiki=on&cha
>ngeset=on&ticket=on

Re the above, I hit several of the above at random and come away with:

What a snotty, piss on everybody attitude!  Regardless of how screwed up
someones system is, complaints against pulseaudio are closed NOTABUG.  No
help.  People are just stabbing at this in the dark.

Attention Rahul:
With all due respect to TPTB in North Carolina, whyinhell would they ever even
consider getting involved with this miss-guided project.  You should have run
40 mph away, like there was a 39 mph meat eater behind you!

They feel no responsibility for it whatsoever, & every README file in
the /usr/share/doc/pulseaudio tree says to see your distro for help.

>knowing your system, you can probably dig further and get a better idea
>of what to try.

I just nuked it all again. And I'm going to reboot and restore the nvidia ac97
too.  Maybe I'll have sound again & maybe I won't.  With linux, who knows...

>i am up for another hour or two, reply with [2] and i will have another
>look around. :0)
>
>hth.

Yes g it does, thanks.  It tells me for the 2nd time now that I should have
nothing to do with pulseaudio, the whole concept of its design is apparently
broken.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)