non-disclosure of infrastructure problem a management issue?

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Aug 23 23:37:18 UTC 2008

Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Björn Persson <bjorn at rombobjörn.se> [20080823 18:57]:
> > The first announcement gave me the impression that there was a technical
> > problem, such as overloaded web servers or a crashed database or
> > something. In retrospect it's obvious that when that announcement was
> > written they already knew or at least suspected that there had been an
> > intrusion. This gives me the impression that Paul W. Frields was not
> > being truthful. He lied by telling half the truth.
>
> That is a pretty strong statement to make. Not telling everything does
> not equate lying - especially when what you are telling (or can tell)
> is true. And if all you have is an impression that he is not truthful,
> you conceed that you have no evidence to the contrary as well.
>
> I think you owe Paul Frields an apology.

It would be possible to convince me that he didn't mean to deceive. It would
take an honest-sounding statement that he thought that everybody would
understand that installing packages might be not only unsafe but actually
insecure, and also a very good explanation of why he – or someone giving him
orders – thought it was absolutely necessary to be so cryptic. It would be
dishonest to apologize before I'm convinced.

Björn Persson