pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 02:47:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 22:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Thanks for the reply Rex, even if we do not agree. :)
> >>
> >:)  np.  I just wanted to avoid the generalization that I perceived that
> >: "pulseaudio is broken universally".  It "just works" for a vast majority
> >: of users.
> >
> >Your setup seems to be quite a special case of multi-card setup with
> > convoluted alsa configuration.  You may need to try contacting the
> > pulseaudio devs for advice and/or assistance.  I'd highly recommend posting
> > to: https://tango.0pointer.de/mailman/listinfo/pulseaudio-discuss
> >if you hadn't already done so.
> >
> >-- Rex
>
> And is yet another list I have to subscribe to before I can post.  I 99%
> solved the problem with the removal of it.
>
> To add insult to injury, there isn't even a search function to check the
> archives of the list!  Good grief.
>
> I saved the bookmark, but I'm not sure why.
----
except that there was no injury...just your own failure to make it work
for you.

I would suggest that you are rather heavy handed on usage/setup of your
system which as you know is one of the luxuries of Linux in that you can
do things your way and in so many different ways.

The simple fact is that pulseaudio like LVM and other things are not for
everyone but you can function without it.

I do detect a pattern though...it's the same one that had you giving up
on NFS and using samba for filesharing because you couldn't make NFS
work.

I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.

Craig