Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Sun Aug 24 11:11:20 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>
>> expose_full_path gives:
>>
>> the GCJ Web *Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2 is found in:
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
>>
>> and the Java Plug-in:
>> /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_07/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>
>> This is where I found it after installing the Sun Java, so it seems
>> to fit.
>> I moved the *.rpm.bin to /usr/java and executed the .bin there.
>>
>> Could I have crossed my eyes and downloaded the wrong Java from the
>> Sun site?
>> Now there are so many details on the table that I am struggling
>> against my own confusion. :-)
>
> Yes, I think you have started to confuse yourself...and potentially
> others.  :-)
I am very sorry if I have not managed to ask precise question, and give
all important details.

> First, the Sun Java plugin is supposed to be in the location you
> indicate above.

Then there is one item that is correct.
> Second, I *think* you have placed a symbolic link in your
> ~/.mozilla/plugins directory pointing to it since I *think* have have
> indicated that typing "about:plugins" in FF shows the existence of
> both gcjwebplugin.so and libjavaplugin_oji.so.
the symbolic link IS placed in ~/.mozilla/plugins, that is correct.
gcjwebplugin also exists, that is correct.

> As I've already mentioned, I've not tried working on a system with
> both Sun's Java stuff and open Java stuff installed on the same system.

I have a t'strong feeling that this must be the problem!
> So, why don't you simply uninstall the open-java stuff and try using
> *only* Sun's Java?  I have mentioned that it *does* work here on both
> of the sites you indicated.

Yes, I will do that, ref.  my last mail where I want to make damn sure
that I know what I am doing, i.e. doing it correctly.
Or is it as simple as rpm -e openjdk?

How about using yum remove? I was checking earlier whether the open
stuff was installed. I got that advice, saying that no symlinks should
be necessary if this is properly installed. It was properly installed,
but noting worked.

I ask all such silly questions to be sure that I make no mistakes due to
many detalils and
my own confusion about things.
My speciality is not programming or maintenance in the system environment,
I do applications (in finance for trading purposes - you might have
guessed that), and I simply do not have the time to learn everything
there is to know about whats going on behind the curtain. That makes me
feel stupid, yes, but there are only 24 hours a day available.

Brgds
PAR