Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Sun Aug 24 11:23:01 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> I can't think of a reason to have both of these.
>>>
>>> I now have only Sun's Java installed on FF 9.  I "rpm -e" the
>>> open-java stuff.  And both of your sites run just fine.
>>> -- snip --
>>
>> Then there should be hope for me as well. But I must admit that I
>> have not dived into this
>> java plugin stuff so much before, (under Fedora Core 5 it was just to
>> enter the softlink
>> .._oji.so in   /home/.../.mozilla/plugins and then everyting played
>> nicely.
>> So there is a lot of new stuff now that I try to bring under control.
>> Therefore I am compelled to ask more uninformed questions:
>> rpm -e ? I.e: What should I enter after the erase clause to make sure
>> that I get it all
>> erased?
>
> rpm -e java-1.6.0-openjdk java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin
>
> is all you need do.

rpm -e gave error messages, but yum remove did the trick.
And THEN:
The login screen popped up, and everything worked as it used to work
after logging in.

I am very grateful for all good help, I have learned a lot from this, I
have some more understanding of how Java plugins work, but also how
Firefox deals with plugins.
I will study Java more and use it for some purposes,
then I don't have to ask so many uninformed questions - hopefully.

Brgds
PAR