bugzilla: howto make it work? (was pulseaudio :-)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 16:39:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 09:59 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 03:54:46 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > If you give a report on your audio hardware submitted to ConsoleKit
> > package, they could fix the problem (assuming that someone else hasn't
> > already reported it).
>
> OK, this is another pet peeve: I know something's wrong. I know what
> program I ran when I noticed the bug. I DO NOT know every detail of the
> internals of the implementation of said program in order to omnisciently
> deduce the correct component from the 47,321,669 in the list in bugzilla,
> so I use the one component I do know.
>
> Then it gets closed NOTABUG. Why is this the default behavior so often?
> Why doesn't it get transferred to a different component when someone
> who does know more about the internals decides it isn't his problem?
----
there are a lot of package maintainers and reports get assigned based
upon the package you are reporting about. You simply do the best job you
can do and in theory, if more information is needed or it's filed
against the wrong package, it should get re-assigned.

I've got a bunch of reports in, some of them never seem to have had much
progress at all, some of which were solved and that's the way things
work. It's a far better system than others but yes it leaves a lot to be
desired...try reporting a bug to Apple or Microsoft.

Just because the great looking chick is likely to turn me down doesn't
mean that it was a mistake for trying.

Craig