pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 16:50:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 01:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> And now, even samba seems to have failed, with ubuntu apparently using an
> incompatible version.  I was backing up the kubuntu's machines /home
> directory with amanda, but I never got around to rebuilding the amanda client
> after finding the hard way that that particular machine apparently cannot
> tolerate 2 pata hard drives, it seemed to like to trash the filesystems on
> both in a week, but with just one drive it runs for years.
----
samba has made a lot of changes from 3.0.23 to current and has broken
many setups because they are getting tighter integration into Windows
and have disrupted a lot of marginal setups.

as far as amanda and pata drives...I wouldn't know because I stopped
using amanda (though I liked it) in favor of bacula.
----

> I did have nfs running between them, for about a week, but local weather
> created a power failure that outlasted both UPS's, and that hasn't worked
> since the reboots.  And typical of nfs when it fails, no error msg, it just
> doesn't mount.
----
the errors can be cryptic - usually a stale mount and a
'umount -l -f /path/to/nfs/mount && mount /path/to/nfs/mount'
should fix this.
----

> >I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
> >systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.
> >
> >Craig
>
> And how many of those involve using the motherboard, a generally simple audio
> system for something like skype, and a real audio card (if indeed one can
> call an Audigy2 Value (SBO400, driven by emu10k1) a real audio card, but at
> least it is not a winmodem) for all other system sound duties, each to be
> totally isolated from the other?
>
> If you do have such a setup, please share how you did it.  Show *me* the .conf
> files that achieve that.  Examples are worth 10k words (inflation) you know.
----
to be honest...I've never fooled with pulseaudio configurations at all
and know very little about them...it just works. Sorry for my blissful
ignorance.

Craig