pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 24 17:08:38 UTC 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 01:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >I think he gave you a really good answer too...
>> >
>> >pulseaudio doesn't set the user permissions on devices but is handled by
>> >ConsoleKit / HAL
>> >
>> >If you give a report on your audio hardware submitted to ConsoleKit
>> >package, they could fix the problem (assuming that someone else hasn't
>> >already reported it).
>>
>> 'Scuse me, Craig, but WTH does console-kit have to do with pulseaudio?  In
>> all the considerable ranting and raving that has gone on since F8 came out
>> with this supposed "improvement", I don't recall console-kit ever being
>> mentioned in the same context as pulseaudio.
>>
>> Please explain.
>
>----
>as has already been pointed out - I don't think that there's much point
>in going farther except to point out the thing that you don't seem to
>get...unlike all other sound daemons, pulseaudio is userland and thus
>upon udev to create the user permissions to the devices.
>
>Since you run GUI as root, you already have device permissions so I
>never saw the logic of your trying to make userland daemons run as root
>since you already hold the trump cards.
>
>Craig

That isn't always true Craig, I have been denied permissions on several
occasions.  It always surprised me at the time & I don't now recall a
specific instance I can quote, but it has happened in the past and will no
doubt occur at some point in the future. ATM, not thinking at my best, too
tired, so there isn't a lot of use trying to stir my ancient memory into
action today.  Needs another 3 or 4 hours of zz's.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)